Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture
Ramen, amusement parks, and the baddest Halloween party around.
Cosmopolitan Yokohama, Japan’s second-largest city, will host seven 2019 Rugby World Cup games including the final match!
The city’s gorgeous seaside downtown gives off laid-back vibes with views of Tokyo Bay.
About an hour south of Tokyo, Nissan Stadium is a goliath of a venue with an over 70,000 seat capacity. It’s the largest stadium in Japan! The venue also hosted the final game of the FIFA World Cup back in 2002.
What to do before and after the Rugby World Cup
BBQ Beer Garden
Crack open a cold one at the Yamate Rose Terrace with stunning views of the Yokohama Bay Bridge.
- Date: Until Sept. 23
- BBQ Terrace available 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.; from 5 p.m. Sundays and Holidays
- 114 Yamatecho, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 231-0862 - Map
Kawasaki Halloween Party
This month-long celebration includes DJs, drag queens, horror movie screenings and pole dancers — everything you need for a killer afterparty. Don’t miss the main parade on Oct. 27, before the semi-finals!
- Date: Oct. 1 to Oct. 31
- The main parade is from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Oct. 27
- 4-1 Ogawacho, Kawasaki-ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 210-0023 - Map
What to eat
Yokohama’s signature ramen combines tonkotsu (pork bone) broth and soy sauce broth for a decadent flavor. Get ready for a delicious food coma.
Go for the ramen with the works, topped with spinach, seaweed, a soft boiled egg, green onions, and tender pork belly. Just press the 全部のせトッピングラーメン (ramen with all the toppings) button on the vending machine where you order. You can thank us later.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 4 a.m.
- 1-chome-12-10 Okano, Nishi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 220-0073 - Map
Another popular iekei ramen shop where you’ll find locals lining up for a steaming hot bowl.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Closed on Mondays
- 〒220-0005 Kanagawa, Yokohama, Nishi-ku, Minamisaiwai, 2-chome−12−6 - Map
Try different style noodles from around Japan, all under one roof. Only a 10-minute walk from the stadium.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Friday; until 10:30 p.m. on Saturday; 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday
- ¥300 entry fee plus ¥500 to ¥1000 for a bowl of ramen
- 2-chome-14-21 Shinyokohama, Kohoku Ward, Yokohama, Kanagawa 222-0033 - Map
Sightseeing around Yokohama
The biggest Chinatown in Asia, with steamed pork buns as big as your head and lots of panda-themed goodies.
- Hours: Generally the neighborhood can be explored anytime but most shops close around 9 p.m.
- Yamashitacho, Naka Ward, Yokohama, Kanagawa 231-0023 - Map
- Getting there: From Shin-Yokohama, take the Yokohama line to Kikuna Station. Transfer to the Tokyu Toyoko line and get off at Motomachi-Chukagai.
Yokohama’s downtown area right off Tokyo Bay. There’s an amusement park, as well as loads of shopping and spots to chill.
- 3-chome-5 Minatomirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 220-0012 - Map
- Getting there: From Nissan Stadium, walk to Kozukue Station and take the Yokohama line to Kikuna Station. Transfer to the Tokyu Toyoko line heading for Motomachi Chukagai and get off at Minato Mirai Station. Everything is centered around the station.
In case you haven’t had enough ramen. Customize your own instant noodle cup for a one-of-a-kind souvenir.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Last admission is at 5 p.m.)
- 2-chome-3-4 Shinko, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 231-0001 - Map
- Getting there: Follow the above directions to Minato Mirai. The cup noodle museum is about a 10-minute walk away from Minato Mirai Station.
How to get there
- The fastest way is via the Tokaido-sanyo shinkansen (bullet train). From Tokyo Station to Shin-Yokohama Station is about 20 minutes. From there you can walk to Nissan Stadium in about 10 minutes.
- For a cheaper route, take the Keihin Tohoku line from Tokyo Station to Higashi-Kanagawa Station. Transfer to the Yokohama line and get off at either Shin-Yokohama or Kozukue Station. Nissan Stadium is a 10 to 15-minute walk from either station.
From Haneda Airport
- Take the limousine bus heading towards Shin-Yokohama Prince Hotel and get off at Shin-Yokohama Station.
From Narita Airport
- Take the Narita Express train to Shinagawa Station. From Shinagawa take the Shinkansen to Shin-Yokohama Station.